Monday 26 May 2014

Honeybee Cut-Out in Barn Cavity Wall


I was called to extract some honeybees from a cavity wall in Astwick which had settled in and been living in the barn rent free for a year. First I removed the exterior cladding to reveal the honeycomb beneath. A beautiful patch of brood and comb can be seen in the centre. Lovely stuff.


I then placed the comb into prepared frames ready to relocate the honeybee colony into a hive. 


Here is a picture of my Dad holding the Queen in a clip. We found her right at the end. Lucky last.



Here is a picture of the hive right next to the cavity wall. The Queen is inside and the honeybees will soon follow her. Over the course of the next couple of days the complete colony will be settled into the hive. I'll come back late in the evening after they've all retired for the night and relocate them - leaving no bees behind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment